I make a big batch of quinoa every week in my rice cooker, so I have it ready to go for various different meal options. A tasty way to top quinoa is with lightly fried tofu slabs, fresh vegetables drizzled with a good quality Teriyaki sauce.
Here’s how I constructed our tasty teriyaki tofu quinoa bowls in less than 20 minutes.
You Will Need:
- 1 red bell pepper – wash and slice into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper – wash and slice into thin strips
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 block firm tofu – cut in half and then cut into large slab
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cups raw spinach leaves
- vegetable oil or sesame oil for frying
- sesame seeds
- 4-5 cups of quinoa (serves 3 large portions)
- teriyaki sauce to drizzle on top ( I used Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce)
How to Prepare:
In a pan with 2 tablespoons oil, turn heat to medium high. Squeeze as much water as you can out of each tofu slab.
Place each tofu slab down into the oil. Be careful as it may splatter due to the high water content in the tofu. Let is fry for 5 minutes. Flip it over and fry for another 3-4 minutes until edges crisp. Add a little soy sauce to each tofu piece.
When edges cooked and a bit golden, pull from the heat and set aside.
In the same pan, add a tablespoon of oil and saute the peppers and ginger for 2 minutes. Add spinach and let it wilt and cook in with the peppers. Peppers should be slightly soft – you don’t want to overcook them. Peppers are best flash cooked and slightly firm. Season with salt.
Add pre-prepared quinoa to serving bowls and microwave for 60 seconds. Top with hot vegetables and add 2 slabs of tofu to each bowl. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve!