I personally love eating vibrant, fresh colorful food, however, another reason to make my food creations explode with color is that KIDS also find it enticing. Getting kids to ‘eat the rainbow’ at a young age is a great way to build life long healthy habits! Kids LOVE noodles, so making these Rainbow Udon Noodles is a healthy and tasty way to introduce different vegetables to kids of all ages.
I was recently sent a variety of Fortune Udon Noodles to enter the JSL Fortune Udon Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge. The Fortune Udon Noodles come in Chicken, Original Shoyu and Mushroom (Vegan) flavors. The seasoning packets perfectly season and complement the plump tasty udon noodles. So my recipe highlights the perfection of the udon noodles and introduces a variety of nutritional and colorful vegetables to ‘eat the rainbow’. I love the Fortune Noodle soups because they are meant for a single large soup serving and are delicious and satisfying as is! I did add some extra sesame oil and sesame seeds to this recipe as it complements the vegetables so well.
Rainbow Udon Noodles
You will Need:
- 1 packet of Fortune Udon Noodles ( I used the mushroom flavor)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- dash of white pepper
- dash of black pepper
- PURPLE: 1-2 tablespoons shredded purple cabbage
- GREEN: 1-2 tablespoons fresh greens (chard, spinach, etc. – any variety)
- RED: 1-2 tablespoons sliced red pepper
- ORANGE: 2 tablespoons of sliced carrots
- YELLOW: 1 soft boiled egg – peel and serve fresh and hot on the soup.
- 1-2 tablespoons cooked mushrooms
- black sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- If you would like to make this vegan, sub out the soft-boiled egg and use yellow bell pepper for the ‘yellow’.
- 1-1/3 cups of water
- diced green onions
How to Prepare:
In a pot, boil one egg starting water that is room temperature and bring to a boil for a total of 6 minutes. Drain and gently peel hot egg.
In another small soup pot, bring 1-1/3 cups of water to a slow boil. Add Fortune Udon Noodles, soup base packet, and sesame oil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in a dash of white and black pepper.
Pour hot soup in large soup bowl – the wider the better to add the colorful vegetables.
Add the following ingredients around the edge of the soup bowl in a circular manner: cabbage, greens, cut the soft-boiled egg in half and lay down gently on the of the noodles, mushrooms, carrots, and red bell pepper. Allow the hot soup to steam and wilt the vegetables a bit.
Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and green onions – serve hot!
You may find the Fortune Udon Noodle Soups at Walmart. Get a FREE coupon from JSL Foods here – http://www.jslfoods.com/NoodleClub/login.cfm
#fortunenudonoodles #cheftyaki #udonsoups.