This is a great way to use up extra lacinato kale! My family doesn’t exactly LOVE kale, but I do try to incorporate it into recipes because it is a healthy, leafy green chock full of vitamins and minerals. This yellow split pea soup recipe is a great way to make lacinato tender and soft, and the fresh lemon juice really brightens the flavors.
Yellow Split Pea & Lacinato Kale Soup Recipe
You will Need
- 3 cups dried split peas (rinsed and sort out any debris)
- 8 cups of water (add more if needed for your desired soup consistency)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped Lacinato Kale leaves – make sure to de-stem each leaf before chopping up into 1/2″ pieces.
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 juice from freshly squeezed lemons
- black pepper and additional salt to taste
How to Prepare
In a large stock pot, add olive oil and diced onion. Saute onion until softened and add the dried split peas. Simmer on medium low heat in the 8 cups of water for about 20 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep a loose soup consistency.
After peas start to soften, stir in the kale and spices. Simmer for another 10 -15 minutes. Peas should be soft and breaking up. Add in more water to thin if needed.
When ready to serve, turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and black pepper/salt to season. Lemon juice can cook down and lose it’s flavor with heat, so it’s best to add this last!
Serve as it or top with croutons and good quality parmesan cheese.