Spring is already starting to burst forth at local farmer’s market, so this Tart is the perfect seasonal appetizer to prepare for your first ‘outdoor’ gathering of the season!
- Serves: 8 people
- Calories per serving: 204
Available at markets in early spring, sorrel is slightly tart and a little lemony. Fontina is a soft cheese, so freeze for about 30 minutes before grating.
You will Need:
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup (2¼ ounces) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped spring or green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 1 medium leek (thinly sliced and rinsed)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoonschopped sorrel (or flat-leaf parsley), divided
- 4 ounces fontina cheese(grated)
- Whirl flours and ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor until mixed. Add butter pieces. Pulse until butter forms pea-size pieces. Add water and egg yolk; pulse to form a dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently several times, adding a little more water if needed. Form dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove leaves from thyme sprigs. In a skillet, warm olive oil. Add thyme leaves, onions and leek, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Let cool a bit, and then stir in ¼ cup sorrel.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place dough between two parchment papers. Roll into a rough 12- to 13-inch circle about ¼-inch thick. Remove top parchment. Place dough with bottom parchment onto a baking sheet. Spread cheese onto pastry, leaving a 2-inch border. Spread onion mixture on top. Fold border up.
- Bake tart for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°, and bake until crust is golden, about 20–25 minutes. Just before serving, top tart with remaining 3 tablespoons sorrel.
PER SERVING: 204 cal, 12g fat (5g mono, 1g poly, 6g sat), 46mg chol, 280mg sodium, 20g carb (3g fiber, 1g sugars), 6g protein
By Amy Palanjian + Republished with permission by Delicious Living & The New Hope Blogger Network