It was complicated stuff as an eight year old, but I became so good at making it that my mother nominated me to make my famous spaghetti one day a week, every single week. It was a win-win for my Mother; she was off the hook from making dinner, and I was getting comfortable in the kitchen which is an important skill for all kids!
As an adult, warm spaghetti in a thick rich tomato sauce sprinkled with parmesan cheese still equates to comfort food and happy memories. I do make pasta for my family at home, but as times have changed and diets have evolved for various reasons, I often find that making a pasta dish for a dinner party may be a tricky task. I have many friends and relatives who no longer eat gluten. Some have celiacs disease, some are cutting it out due to ‘sensitivity’ and others are cutting out simple carbohydrates altogether for personal health reasons.
So, having said that, I tend to find gluten-free alternatives of my favorite recipes when possible. I also want my food creations to be beautiful in presentation and creative! I present to you my version of a traditional (yet gluten-free) dinner: Zucchini Noodle Lasagna with RAGÚ Homestyle Pasta Sauce
I use thin zucchini noodles in this recipe instead of pasta noodles, and am staying true to my family tradition by using a Ragu brand sauce. I have chosen the RAGÚ Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce because it’s the perfect flavorful addition to make this recipe a home-run. It also has no artificial flavors, artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup. The other RAGU Homestyle pasta sauces would have been great too! Check out the other NEW RAGU Homestyle pasta sauces here
- 2 pounds of zucchini (or about 3 large zucchini)
- 1 jar of RAGÚ Homestyle Pasta Sauce – I used the Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce, but any of the RAGÚ Homestyle Pasta Sauces are a good choice. Here are the other options!
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1/2 large white onion or small onion (diced)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 15oz. tub of ricotta cheese
- 1 12oz. bag of defrosted soy crumbles – you may use real hamburger meat if you choose.
How to Prepare:
Bake Time: 55 minutes at 375 degrees
- RAGÚ Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce (1/3 of the jar)
- Zucchini – Pat down this layer with your hands.
- Red Pepper & Onion
- Meat or meat alternative
- Ricotta Cheese
- (repeat again with same order)
- Finish with layer of zucchini – Make sure to pat down again with your hands! This is a BIG lasagna!
- Add last 1/3 of the RAGÚ Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce
- Add 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
This animation shows the correct layering order as well!