Here’s a favorite dinner in my household – I changed it up a little, and happy I did. Easy, healthy and satisfying!
Shepherd’s pie usually is made with meat, however we like to keep things on the lighter side (as an excuse to eat more?) This layered pie can be made a day in advance and baked when ready.
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 container of golden mushroom soup - get a good quality one!
- 1 package of soy hamburger crumbles
- fresh mushrooms
- Monterey Jack Cheese (3/4 cup)
- Peel, Cut & Boil the Russets . Mash when cooked and whip in butter and milk.
- Get a baking dish and coat bottom with a little olive oil.
- Put a layer of potatoes down (about 1" thick)
- Put a layer of soy hamburger crumbles down (frozen is ok) about 1/2" thick
- Put a layer of frozen peas down about 1/2" thick (Season with salt and pepper if you wish)
- Put a layer of sliced fresh mushrooms down (1 layer)
- Pour approximately 1/2 cup of mushroom soup over mushrooms
- Put the remaining mashed potatoes on top as the final big layer.
- Sprinkle 3/4 c of cheese on top.
- Bake covered at 350 with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until cheese starts to brown.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes and then serve.
- I took the remaining mushroom soup and thickened w/ 1 tablespoon of flour and used as a gravy.