Red peppers are in summer abundance right now, so what better time to incorporate their vitamin C goodness! Red peppers pair very well with pasta and this is recipe is one of the easiest ways to broaden kids’ palates. This familiar marinara sauce incorporates roasted red peppers. Hemp seeds add a little protein and a pleasantly nutty undertone. The sauce flavor will likely be slightly different than they expect, but not enough to set off tiny alarm bells.
You Will Need:
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 small to medium onion, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-added-salt tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12-16 ounces gluten-free pasta (TRY: Bionaturae Organic Gluten Free Spaghetti)
- Toppings: Crumbled goat cheese, grated Parmesan, chopped walnuts, crushed red pepper flakes, snipped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a bowl, toss pepper and onion slices with oil and salt; spread on a baking sheet and roast 25 minutes, or until soft.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a blender and add tomato sauce and hemp seeds. Blend on high until very smooth. Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, transfer sauce to a medium saucepan and heat until warmed through. Season to taste.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little of the reserved water. Toss drained pasta with sauce and serve with desired toppings.
Posted with permission from New Hope Blogger – http://deliciousliving.com/recipes/spaghetti-roasted-red-pepper-sauce?cid=nhbc