When my husband and I hit the road, we often make little stops at farmstands and country markets and load up on jams, chutneys and honey. On this past trip, I grabbed a huge jar of ‘Brandied Peaches’. Motivated to not have this gem sit in my pantry, I decided to make some rustic peach tartlets when I got home with the peach mixture.
Using it as a base on my tartlet crust, I added layers of fresh nectarines on top. I could have used peaches, but the nectarines were firmer and I thought they would hold up better in the baking process. I was pleased with how they came out and they were ridiculously delicious. However, you may use ANY fruit that you have to make this tartlet (berries, apples, peaches, etc) and I promise you it will be phenomenal.
Rustic Peach & Nectarine Tart Recipe
Makes 6 tartlets | Bake at 350 for 28 minutes
You will need:
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- jar o peach jam of some variety
- 4 fresh nectarines ( I used good-sized ones and sliced very thin) Avoid the pit area because it’s bitter.
How to Prepare:
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg yolk and pulse until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth. Form into 6 balls and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Take balls out and on a sheet of parchment paper flatten dough into circles about 6-7″ wide in diameter. I used large pastry cups, but you don’t have to.
- Smear about 1 tablespoon of peach jam mixture into the center part leaving the edges uncovered
- Top with sliced of nectarines
- Fold edges over onto the fruit.
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and bake the tarlets on a lightly greased pan, or in pastry cups for about 20-28 minutes. Peek at your tartlets to make sure they are getting brown, but not burnt!
Cool for about 20-30 minutes and eat or store in Tupperware for up to 2 days.