Making savory pancakes from red lentils is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy these protein-packed legumes! I was a little skeptical, but my test pancakes came out great. Next time I’m going to add lots of spices and serve with fun sauces.
You will need a blender to make a creamy and smooth batter from the soaked lentils. I used the new Spendor Blender by Our Place. It’s powerful, and fast and it blends in an easy-to-use blender so I could pour the batter into a hot pan. What a great option if you’re looking for a gluten-free snack!
- 1 cup red split lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon spices of your choice (cumin, turmeric, coriander, paprika, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil or more to cook the pancakes
- Soak the lentils: Rinse the lentils and soak them in water for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results. This softens them for blending and cooking.
- Blend the batter: Drain the lentils and add them to a blender with water, salt, spices, and any optional ingredients like baking powder or chickpea flour. Blend until smooth and creamy, like a thick pancake batter.
- Cook the pancakes: Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with your chosen oil. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy: Your lentil pancakes are ready! You can serve them plain, with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, with savory toppings like salsa or avocado, or with sweet toppings like maple syrup and fruit.
- Add vegetables: Blend in grated carrots, spinach, or other finely chopped veggies for extra flavor and nutrients.
- Make them spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili flakes for a kick.
- Go savory or sweet: Adjust the spices and toppings to your liking. A squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs can make them fresh and light, while garam masala or curry powder can give them an Indian twist.