This soup has a lot of ingredients, but I promise it’s worth it! The flavors are unique, exciting and complementary with rich coconut milk, spice and lime. Red lentils are also a great source of protein, so it’s a nutritious soup to enjoy on a cool evening.
You will need:
Makes about 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt to taste – 2 teaspoons approximately (add this last)
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- 3-4 cups of water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime per bowl of soup)
- optional: dried unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on top of soup
How to prepare:
In a medium saucepan, saute oil, onion, and garlic until onions become soft and golden. Add all of the dry seasonings with the ginger for several minutes to coat onion mixture.
Pour in a can of coconut milk with 3 cups of water. Add in lentils.
Simmer for approximate 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. As the soup cooks down, you may add another cup of water.
Still in spinach to the hot soup about 10 minutes prior to serving and season with salt.
Serve with freshly squeezed lime juice with dried coconut! It’s fantastic!