White Elephant Exchanges are great for cocktail parties, or something to do after a formal sit-down dinner. A few glasses of wine before the exchange never hurts either!
If you’re not familiar with the rules, here’s the basics.
1. Each player brings one wrapped gift to contribute to a common pool. I usually set the gift value to be $20.
2. Players draw names to determine what order they will go in.
3. Players sit in a circle or line where they can see the gift pile
4. The first player selects a gift from the pool and opens it
5. The following players can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pool or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else.
A present can only be stolen once per turn, which means players who have a gift stolen from them have to wait to get it back.
After three swaps, the turn automatically comes to an end (otherwise things could drag on for a long time). See “Popular Variations” below for other possible twists.
6. After all players have had a turn, the first player gets a chance to swap the gift he or she is holding for any other opened gift. Anyone who’s gift is stolen may steal from someone else (as long as that person hasn’t been stolen from yet). When someone declines to steal a gift, the game comes to an end.
Here are my 2016 Top Recommended Funny White Elephant Gifts!
Incognito Flasks – The Smuggle Mug – $25.99
The Smuggle Mug™ looks innocent, but this dynamic coffee mug holds 22oz alone and also houses a 12oz flask inside that discreetly stores your liquor; perfect for having your favorite mixer and booze in one convenient location. Just blow on the outer rim of the mug to dispense the alcohol directly into your mug. There is also a hidden compartment on the bottom of the mug.
Or, pair some other funny flasks together that are perfect for ourdoor events – rain or shine, you’re covered!
Sunscreen Flask $8.99 & Umbrella Flask – $16.99
The sunscreen flask includes extra lid seals, so it looks like a brand new bottle of sunscreen! The Umbrella Flask™ disguises itself as an ordinary umbrella, but inside, it contains a compartment that houses your liquor. Included with every purchase, the no-spill seal ensures that the liquor in your Hidden Flask™ stays put to avoid spilling, leakage and scent.
Alcohol is always a popular gift because it’s a consumable. Choose a beverage that is popular with your crowd. Are they wine drinkers? Vodka? Champagne? Alcohol is always in our top three most traded and desired items in a gift exchange!
AS SEEN ON TV
As seen on TV items are great because most of us are familiar with them, yet we’d never actually order one in real life. For some reason these items are always very popular – past hits: The Shake Weight, Salad Spinner, Clap on Clap Off Light control.
Every successful White Elephant Exchange has to have an item that NO ONE wants. This item will be discarded like a hot potato, but someone will go home with it! Some items we have had in recent years often resurface AGAIN in other exchanges.
A caftan or MuMu. Usually we make the person that ‘wins’ (or loses depending on how you look at it) this kaftan, wear it. It’s hysterical and makes for great photos. Ugly sweaters or T-Shirts also work well.
Make sure to wrap your gift in attractive gift wrap, or boxes! The desirable look makes guests want to open it first! Or conversely, take a high value item (like a surprise bottle of nice champagne) and put it in a crappy brown bag wrapper! Have fun with it and enjoy!
Please note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase the item through one of these links, I may earn a small commission.